“It doesn’t take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men.”

Samuel Adams

Monday, April 11, 2011

18%……..REALLY? | LaSalle Insider

18%……..REALLY? | LaSalle Insider Some interesting thoughts on why people don't vote. Since our election I have spent time trying to understand why people don't vote and wonder if part of it is perhaps they grew up in families that did not participate in the election process and they just followed the same path. Did our educational process fail to instruct them on what is expected of a citizen? Perhaps everything needs to be glitzy and exciting to get the attention of the average "jane" or "joe". Perhaps anyone should be allowed to register to vote at their cities city clerks office anytime of the year.

If you didn't vote, tell us why and if you did how can we get a greater percentage of residents to participate in local elections?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lois , you commented in a earlier blog, that you were so BUSY.
How do you find the time to check out the voting habits of people ? Since the election is over , I would think it is a WASTE OF YOUR TIME !

Peru Town Forum said...

What a lame complaint and I don't need your comments on my time. Go take your medicine, you are coming unraveled again.

Justin Loger said...

In my opinion it is what we are taught in schools. There are quite a few people who just don't realize how important city politics are (unless a decision is made that they don't favor, then they get involved). I remember at a city council meeting I asked where I could get more information about city politics for the open alderman position, and the city attorney directed me to the Illinois Municipal League website, where I purchased the Illinois Municipal Handbook, which is basically a layman's guide to the Illinois Municipal Code. I WISH I would have read that book sooner, or at least have it be taught in school.