“It doesn’t take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men.”

Samuel Adams

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Peru Electoral Board - How Fair is This City and Government

As I sat through this long and rather tiresome meeting, knowing full well before the first word was spoken what the results would be, I thought this is nothing more than a show of power by the Mayor and one of his aldermen.

I recently heard the word of "swamp" in reference to the Peru City Government and tonight I actually thought that was appropriate terminology with reference to the members of this extremely prejudicial board.  What else did anyone expect other than for Mayor Harl and Tony Ferrari to support their fellow  alderman Dave Potthoff in his attempt to disallow a fellow Peru resident to challenge him for one of the aldermanic seats in the fourth ward.

You will find all pertinent details of the meeting and decision in our local News Tribune so I will suggest you go there for details.

One of my first meetings in a really long time, other than the first court proceedings on this issue.

To let you know how unwelcome I was, this is what took place. I went with a friend to to the meeting in the packed city council chambers.  About three quarters of the way through the discussions a police officer came up to my friend and I and told us not to talk to each other.  Now keep in mind that almost everyone in the chambers said a few words or more to those around them and people came up to me afterwards and asked what the police officer said to me. I told them and people sitting close by said they certainly could not hear me. And then I found out the reason the officer did this was because he was instructed to do so by his superior. We were targeted for nothing more than who we are and not because of anything  we did.

No comments: