“It doesn’t take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men.”

Samuel Adams

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

A battle was lost and the struggle continues. No regrets!

Thank you to all who worked so hard with me during this campaign. Local politics is a strange beast that is very difficult to predict. What I learned from talking with folks in the 4th Ward is the fact that they do not understand how local government is supposed to work on their behalf. Some have great expectations from elected officials and others are fed up and have no expectations at all. Some seem to want you to make promises of what you will do for them if you are elected. The great majority of people I visited with told me in no uncertain terms that they felt they were not being well represented by their elected officials. You can never really be sure what motivates people to go to the polls on election day. I campaigned hard and I campaigned honestly. No promises, just a pledge to work hard to bring some new ideas to the table for improving the city of Peru. I know that message meant something to a lot of folks I spoke with. But many were afraid of that message. They fear things they are not familiar with so they revert back to things they understand. They will still often feel neglected and disenfranchised but there is a strange sense of security when they are familiar with who their alderman is. I have no regrets and I am only sad that I will not have a chance to prove myself to my supporters and those who presume to know what I stand for.

3 comments:

Peru Town Forum said...

Your friends will stay strong with you and continue on this journey of which we are all a part and that includes all that voted for you.

Anonymous said...

You are a class act....you ran an excellent campaign. Hope you consider running again. The people in this town would surely benefit from your wisdom and foresight. Thanks for all you do in enlightening the citizens of Peru!

Anonymous said...

Steve the people of Peru, at this time won't get to see what we know, what you would have done for the city of Peru. You had some good ideas, you would have tried to implement, and a lot of intelligent answers to some of Perus' problems. Good Luck in the future, and we hope you run again. We need more people like you.