“It doesn’t take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men.”

Samuel Adams

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Where have we come from and where do we go from here?

This is the question many of us are asking. If you were part of the movement to bring new leadership to Peru you are probably paying attention to some degree. Maybe you're reading the council reports in the News Tribune and trying to read between the lines. That can be very difficult to do. The reason being, there is always so much more to the issues that come before the city council. If there is one thing I have learned from years of council-watching in Peru it's this. The great majority of business that makes it's way through council is seldom if ever discussed or explained in any great detail during open meetings. This was especially true during the final years of the Baker dynasty that I observed first hand. It's better now, but there is room for improvement. Baker did not tolerate dissent or encourage discussion. I started "watching" in 2004 in the back row of the Penthouse Suite council chamber of Turne Hall II, aka The Mirror Building. Back then there were very few "outsiders" attending council meetings. It became apparent to me immediately that I was about as welcome there as the proverbial "turd in the punch-bowl". Today, I know I am no more welcome by most of the aldermen than I was then. Attendance at the meetings was embarrassing. Worse than the voter turnout yesterday for the primary election. I thought then and I believe now very few people give a damn. I say very few because I do know some great people who do care. The fact they look at us as "outsiders" speaks volumes. So the question remains. Where do we go from here? Too many possible answers to mention I think. How about pay attention, get informed, inform others, attend meetings, research the issues, learn about the people who are driving the issues, who is on the payroll and for what. The information is out there. Let's look for answers together. We'll find a way. Believe me when I tell you it's actually very nice "outside".

No comments: